These three points can be wound into your story with ease as they are the base of any common society.
In saying that, many fantasy stories don’t create their own base for religion or the origin of their created world, rather they use our world as a basis, Christianity or the Big Bang are two examples.
Mythology refers to how the world came to be, and how people lived many years ago. It is the point before recorded history and is often wound in with religion. Different beliefs on how our world came to be are the basis of all existing religion and you may not want this to be the basis of belief in your own society, instead based on your own idea of how your own world was created or just a world without any religion whatsoever!
Keep in mind though, that if you do create your own religion, you may encounter some resistance from existing religious bodies, but don’t take it to heart!
The lifestyle of your world is also closely tied in with your society’s religious beliefs. For example, some religions may not allow the use of magic and may see death as suitable penance for practicing it. In many cases also, if the ruler or King/Queen of a land is religious, this religion becomes the law. In these societies the people that embody religion (The Monks, Priests/Priestesses) are seen as above all others except the king.
WORKSHOP: What do your characters, and your society as a whole believe in? Is religion a part of your story? Think of possible religions to assimilate into your society and see if it fits your needs!
Thursday, September 24, 2009
The Mythology, Religion and Lifestyle
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I found it interesting that you said many fantasy novels use christianity. I didn't realise it was so prevelant and would have thought it would have been slightly antithetical.
ReplyDeleteI think she was just using Christianity as an example, because i've never read a fantasy novel where the Big Bang started the earth :P I think you are very right in saying that this can be wound into a story easily, religion is something that stirs alot of emotion in many people.
ReplyDeleteErica, I only meant that alot of authors don't mention or going into great detail about the types of religion (if at all) that exist in their world. For example, the Harry Potter novels don't talk about religion specifically, but as the series is based in our own world, then we have to assume that the same religious views apply in those books too. I'm sorry that I didn't make that clearer.
ReplyDeleteMatthius, I have to admit, I have actually read a story where they used the big bang as the begining of mankind!